Women's Rights Discussion Group

Sex Wars: A Novel of Gilded Age New YorkSex Wars: A Novel of Gilded Age New York by Marge Piercy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book as part of the NYS Humanities Council's Women's Rights discussion group. I never would have picked this novel myself and was unfamiliar with the author. That being said, I absolutely loved the book. This was the second book we read, so I do recommend reading Seneca Falls and the Origins of the Women's Rights Movement by Sally McMillen. The latter book will give the reader the historical background to really understand the novel. The story in Sex Wars is told from several different perspectives and uses real people in history as some the characters. I particularly enjoyed reading about Victoria Woodhull. Another part of the novel that I really enjoyed was the description of life in tenements. I felt the author was spot on in her description of the lives of poor immigrants. I highly recommend this book if readers enjoy great historical fiction.

View all my reviews

Comments