Long before the days of big-box stores, the heartbeat of Ogdensburg could be found on its street corners. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the family-run grocery store was a community staple.
One such establishment stood at 1217 Ford St. Originally owned by J.B. Bergeron, the building functioned as a neighborhood store from 1890 until 1960. While it is now a shell of what it once was, for decades it was the domain of Henry Bouchard, a man whose life mirrored the growth and spirit of the city’s immigrant population.
The Bouchard story began in Grand Baie, Quebec. Born in 1880, Henry was part of a massive wave of French-Canadian immigration in the 1880s. Pushed by land scarcity in Quebec and pulled by the promise of higher wages in Northern New York’s lumber and manufacturing sectors, many young people crossed the border. By 1900, roughly 33 percent of Ogdensburg’s residents were of French-Canadian descent.
settled in "Little Canadas"—predominantly French-speaking neighborhoods like the 4th Ward—where they could maintain their language, traditions, and faith. For the Bouchards, this faith was central to their lives. Henry was a pillar of Notre Dame Church, which had been established in 1859 to serve the growing French community. He served as a trustee, a member of the Holy Name Society, and a member of the Franco-American Club.
In an era when most families owned only one vehicle—typically used by the breadwinner for work—the local grocery store was a daily necessity. Wives and children would walk the block to procure supplies, from fresh produce to canned goods.
courtesy Mary Lou Ashley
It was a world built on personal trust. Long before the days of credit cards, "charging" goods was a common practice for cash-strapped families, and home delivery meant a knock on the door from a familiar neighbor. In 1925, the City Directory listed 97 such stores across Ogdensburg, ensuring that no matter where you lived, help was just a few steps away.
Henry Bouchard arrived in the U.S. via ferry at age 12 with his parents. In 1902, he married Jennie Gagnon, and together they raised nine children. They purchased the 1217 Ford St. store in 1905, operating it for 45 years.
His dedication to his neighbors never wavered. In 1950, he moved his operations to 1212 Ford St., continuing to provide for the community well into his senior years. It was there, in 1960, that Henry suffered a fatal heart attack while working in his store. He died as he had lived for over half a century: standing behind the counter, ready to serve the people of the 4th Ward.
Following Henry’s death, the era of the small-scale merchant began to fade. The building at 1217 Ford St. reflected the evolving economy of the city, housing William Jones’ IGA supermarket and later Napoleon and Laura Richer’s business in the 1960s. The storefront eventually transitioned from groceries to services, becoming a laundromat before it was purchased and remodeled by Richard Polniak, who operated Polniak Electronic Service Center there from 1972 to 1984.
Today, 1217 Ford St. is a shell of the bustling community hub it once was. Now in a dilapidated state, the structure stands as an endangered piece of Ogdensburg’s architectural and social history. Without intervention, this physical link to the "Little Canadas" of the 19th century may soon be lost forever.
For those who remember the 4th Ward at its peak, however, the building remains a monument to a time when your grocer knew your name—and to a man like Henry Bouchard, whose devotion to his church and his neighborhood lasted until his very last breath.
<<



Comments
Post a Comment